I've found a cool product while searching the web. Its and ebook/package that offers hundreds of websites which you can use for Adsense. These are great if you need a helping hand at getting started with Adsense.
You can find the package here.
- Don't strive to be an Adsense Expert for the sake of being an Adsense Expert. When you're making enough money to live on comfortably to give you the lifestyle you believe you deserve, then you can be an expert who writes e-books, talks at seminars or publishes their methods. Until then we're all learning. But that doesn't mean we can't learn from each other.
- Don't cheat. Don't try and cheat Google, they'll catch you. If you think you can, then go ahead. The result will be one less Adsense Publisher for me to compete with to get hold of advertisers dollars.
- Don't label your Ads with anything other than "sponsored links" or "advertisements."
- Don't tell friends or families about your website, because they may be more than generous with there clicks.
- Make a site which you love, and care about. The content will always be better and you will attract more visitors.
- Look around at forums about Adsense. A particularly good site is Digital Point. One of my favourite.
- Ask questions, even if they make you feel like a noob at the program. No one gets anywhere if you don't ask questions.
- Be patient. Earning wont come over night.
There are many places to put Google Adsense Adverts, personally I think there is only one good place to put Adsense on blogs.
The image shows a suitable heat map of where Adsense should go. The yellow represents content including the banner at the top. The green on the right is the navigational menus.
The red represents the ad formats. The long on at the top is the main banner, with the red square as a rectangular advert. The blue represent text links.
The reason this is on of the best, is that adverts continue down the page. With lots of content, adverts will mingle in and will help with your conversion ratio and earnings.
There has recently been a change in the Google Adsense Terms and Conditions.
You are now allowed to have s link units on a page. As a result you can have up to 6 ad units in total (3 Ad + 3 Link)
Some uses of the new ads include been able to add link units in small spaces, such as the bottom of the page, in corners, or columns, hopefully these new units will bring in more revenue.
- Spam you website, hoping to get clicks.
- Puts ads in areas where accidental clicks are possible
- Confuse users with your Adsense code.
- Generate illegal impressions
- Generate illegal clicks.
- Focus on getting valid clicks
- Be creative with your colours
- Suitably blend
- Adhere to the rules
I've been searching the web and found a couple of tools which you can use to help out your website and as a result try to get a better position in Google and hopefully improve you Google Adsense improvements.
Page Rank Prediction
It does what it says on the tin. Predicts your page rank. A good tool if you ever need to to work out your page rank when Google next updates there PR database. You can check out the website here.
Probably one of the best tools on the internet at the moment. A general all round tool that checks all aspects of your site. Click the image below of the full version.
This website, checks your page rank, Alexa rank, Inbound links and indexed webpages. As well as offering general information about your website. A must.
A rather cool little website, that "pings" loads of websites that you blog has been updated. A good my to let other people no that your website has been updated.
Hopefully all these websites are usefully because they defiantly helped me.
You may have noticed that on the internet there is a lot of sites which seen to just have random content and Adsense adverts. These are called Made For Adsense Sites (MFA).
For example these sites generate content usually from RSS feeds, feed them onto a page. Then use Adsense to profit from people clicking on the sites. Google has recently changed the TOS so that you cannot do this. Many accounts are going to be closed as of June 1st.
This brings relief to publishers of Adsense as they don't have to worry about rubbish adverts appearing which link to these type of sites.
Many owners of these types of site would use a package like this. That enables them to make websites easily and quickly. That type of package which is also good for creating initial sites will hopefully bring and end to Adverts that appear which pay little and lead people to sites that are of no interest.
You may or may not notice that under adverts there are links to advertise on your site. These are used, mainly by Google, to draw people in to the Adwords program. But used effectively can bring additional revenue as people want to spend advertising on your site.
Setting up a good page is easy. In your Google Adsense account, go My Account > Onsite Advertiser Sign Up
By clicking edit what you want is a page that blends nicely into you existing color scheme, or if you have many websites a general color scheme.
The option that Google gives you are plenty full. For example you can change all the link colors, background colors and the advertiser message.
For the message I recommend keeping the default message but changing a couple of keywords to make it more personal to you. For example the name of your website, your names etc.
Experiment and try to make the best out of a single page. Heres mine which I created.
Hopefully this tip has helped you create a better looking page that will help advertisers advertise on your site.
This post is a general round up of Common Mistakes that Violate Google's Terms And Coniditions.
1) Clicking on your own ad's.
- I've told you this many of times, don't click on your own Adverts.
2) Don't adversely change the Google Adsense code.
- This includes making it so the ads open in a new window, most of the time the code will stop working and violate the TOS.
3) Don't place more adverts than you are allowed.
- This violates the TOS again, most of the time Google will automatically remove the ads if there are too many.
4) Do not disclose your CTR or CPM
- These are confidential and should not be shared with other people.
5) Don't label ads other and Sponsored Links or Advertisements.
6) Don't launch ads in a new windows.
- Similar to #2, don't make them open in windows, it is against the TOS.
7) Having more than one account.
- You have 10 websites but you only need 1 account, never have more than one account. Google will find out. Every time you add your code to a website, the engine will pick up and automatically add your earning to your account.
8) Only place adds on content pages.
- Advertisers pay for ads on content pages. Don't put ads on none content pages, you will be out of the pages.
9) Don't mask ads.
- Never cover parts of the ad. Its against the rules and you will out of the program faster than you can say PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS (lung disease, 45 letters)
10) Don't put your ads anywhere other than on a website.
- E-mails, programs. You don't want impressions from these sources. Don't do it.
11) Avoid keyword stuffing.
- This means stuffing pages full of words just to get adverts. Doesn't work against the rules.
12) Don't put ads adjacent to images.
- Putting ads next to images can confuse users and result in invalid clicks.
Hopefully these tips will help you in avoiding breaking the TOS of Google Adsense.
- Check earnings regularly.
- Make sure that your CTR is no higher than 10%, as this could report invalid clicks.
- Add e-mail alerts.
- Check your balance at the end of the month.
- Use advance reports to work out how much the average is between months.
- Click your own ads.
- Let other people do your account.
- Constantly manage your Adsense account from different IP's as this could cause invalid clicks and Google remove you from the course.
- Ask people to click your Ad's.
Google has released, from what I gather, Google Webmaster Tools. Which can be used to enable a webmaster to gather information about web pages about your site. You have to be able to upload or modify html pages or tags, but the tools which it gives are helpful in making a more successful site.
Once you have verified that you are the owner of the site and you link to to a Google Account. There are some useful tools to help you tweak your site to get the best out of Google Search results and hopefully turn this into profits from the Adsense program.
All the images can be clicked to show the full versions. They are taken from my other site The Powell Blog which has been running longer and as a result yields more results on the pages. A new site will of course not have many page crawled by Google so wont provide good results. But this will change as time goes on.
The many page is a basic summary of your website.
Given is a basic overview of what appears in your site and what is broken, in my case it is some search links that do seem to work but have yet to be recrawled.
As well as this is the last crawl date of your website, useful to no when Google last came to visit. Apart from crawl errors (which should be none) this section isn't very helpful.
Probably the most useful is the crawl rate section of the webmaster tools. This gives 3 options. Fast, Normal and Slow. Most / All of the time it is on normal, which is the default setting. This tool allows you to change it. If you have unlimited hosting you could put it to fast, so the Google Bot returns more often. But this will use more bandwidth. Slow should only be used if you on very limited hosting or cannot handle to bot coming as often as it does.
I recommend using the the help section to gain a better insight into what you should use.
One thing that should be added is the Enhanced Image Search, which does no harm to your site and could bring more visitors, I recommend this be checked.
Finally there is a section which gives statistics on your website from Google.
This gives relatively simple statistics, but it is always worth a look.
Apart from the features listed above there is also sections where you can add a sitemap, check links to your site. Best of all each feature has a simly face which you should use to rate each part of the tools. I suggest you use it so Google can improve and make the tools better.
If you have comments please us the link below.
You will notice that the icon to the left has appeared, it will be a new feature to each of the posts. As well as this the date above the title has disappeared.
If you want to find out more about the icons, check this post.
In the mean time have fun.
As a first time user you may get excited about the prospect of using Adsense. But there is such as thing as being to involved. For example you may want to keep refreshing your Reports page. This may be fine at first but it could cause problems.
Every time you login into your Adsense account Google will place a cookie on the computer you are using. If you log into it from your home account this will be fine, but login into some one else's internet and visit your ads that IP will be blacklisted against your account. The problem with this if they click on your ads it will come up invalid as you have used and visited that internet connection.
The solution of this is to only login in to your Adsense account from one IP, this will minimize the chance of invalid clicks and closer on your account.
According to Google Adsense TOS you are not allowed to change any part of the code. After a bit of looking about there is a small part of code which you are allowed to change.
For example with my blogger layout it does not allow me to put in scripts into the page and leave in the <> tags, this is of course a problem. But you can change the <> tags for the XML equivalent which Google allows because you haven't changed to code, just the way it is formatted before being rendered in your browser.
What you need to do is change all the < with & l t ; and the > with & g t ; (With out the spaces) This will hopefully solve the problem.
There comes a time when you are on you website and you need to preview or audit and advert. Due to the terms and conditions of Google Adsense you are not allowed to click on your own adverts so what do you do?
A tool just released is Adsense Preview over at this website. A lot less hassle than Google's Adsense preview tool for Internet Explorer.
Its Monday again, can you believe it? And it is time for Adsense Do and Do Nots. This week its about colors of adverts.
- Use custom colors in the Adsense set up blog.
- Blend the boarder and background exactly.
- Use colors that please your color scheme.
- Optimize colors for best effect.
- Change the colors around every so often.
- Use garish colors.
- Oppose colors so much that they stand out and distract from your content.
- Use the same color for all the different elements.
- Confuse users with you adverts color scheme.
Did you know that you can use custom Colors with Adsense adverts. For quiet a while I thought that you could only use the colors out of the color picker. But if you click on the hex decimal number you can input any value which is a valid color. This of course is really useful as the colors that they provide are not that useful for some sites.
These different colors enable a whole variety of styles. Useful for people who have colors that are not in Google's color range.
Once in a while you may click on your adverts which are being served on your website. An according to Google's terms of service you are not allowed to click on your own adverts.
Now this is not so much of a problem as Google can sort out which adverts are being clicked on legitimately and being clicked on illegitimately. Now Google have announced that if you accidentally click on your own adverts you wont be penalized to badly. Although they wont credit your account with the cash. This is not a problem if it doesn't happen that often. But it can be if this happens frequently.
Every time you click on your own advert a little red flag will be added to your account. Gain to many red flags and they will close your account. All in all don't click on your own adverts.
This article is to serve as a reminder to make sure that your Google Adsense account wont get closed.
You heard of the new Adsense Videos that are coming. Heres the blurb that is coming from Google.
- Click-to-play video ads: This is a video ad type on our content network. Any publisher opted into image ads and using one of the supported formats may see these click-to-play video ads on their sites.
- AdSense video distribution and sponsorship: We ran 2 pilots that allowed publishers to choose video channels (short-form video clips bundled with video ads) to display on their sites.
- In-stream video ads pilot: This is what we're announcing today - we're extending AdSense to online video content. Publishers in this test will be able to define at what point in their videos that streaming video ads will appear.
They look good. Cant wait to try then out.
Its Monday again and its is time for the Do and Do Nots of Google Adsense. This weeks theme is Ad units. Shall we begin?
- Get a good colour scheme
- Use the same colours for the same ad areas
- Make sure that the ads are visible
- Use Skyscraper and large rectangle, they pay well.
- Use channels
- Use link units
- Make your ads indistinguishable from your content
- Blend so much your ads disappear
- A colour scheme that does not match your site
- Block ad units
- Cover ad units
- Say "Click My Ads"
- Put ads on none content pages
Have you got a compulsions to check your AdSense account to see how much you have earned. Also known as Google Adsense Disorder (GAD). Then this is the tool for you.
Using the FireFox web browser download this little add on here. What it enables you to do is automatically check your account to a user specified time. For example I have set it to check every 15 minutes. The add on will then display your impressions, clicks, CTR and earnings (this can be customised as needed). This tool is better than having to manually login.
This tool is great to have. Download it now.
You can put Adsense pretty much anywhere on a page. This list is the 5 best places to put adverts. The list is in no specific order.
1) Under The Header
Under the header is especially good since that area of the page attracts a lot of attention. Placing adverts here is a great money earner.
2) Under Navigation Aids
Again these areas of the page attract lots of attention.
3) At the Top of Posts
Just under the title is good as many people s eyes will wonder towards your ads.
4) In the Middle of Posts
A half time break if you wish, give your readers a chance to try out different content.
5) At the Bottom of Posts
The best place in my opinion if you want to use link ads, gives the best chance of visitors to view your adverts.
Referral link units come in two forms, link and button. This guide will tell you how to use them to your advantage and help make you money.
The main advantage of a referral button is that you can earn up to $2000 a year off one product by just referring people. The disadvantage is that people usually have to download something or sign up. But with some good optimisation you can start getting clicks and earning money.
There are 4 types of referral packages; Adsense, Adwords, FireFox and Google Pack. Each have there own different target audience. For example the Adsense and Adwords referrals are aimed at people who are setting up sites and ready to promote them. For example people visiting this site have an interest in Adsense and possible Adwords. Other websites such as my blog would have referrals of the Google Pack and Firefox, as those are the types of product they would use.
Each different referral pays a different amount. This was taken from Adsense help.
- When a publisher who signed up for Google AdSense through your referral first earns $5 within 180 days of sign-up, you will be credited with $5.
- When that same publisher earns $100 within 180 days of sign-up and is eligible for payout, you will be credited with an additional $250.
- If in any 180-day period, you refer 25 publishers who each earn more than $100 within 180 days of their respective sign-ups and are all eligible for payout, you will be awarded a $2,000 bonus (bonus payouts are limited to 1 per year).
- Firefox plus Google Toolbar: When a user that you have referred to Firefox plus Google Toolbar runs Firefox for the first time, you will receive up to US$1 in your account, depending on the user's location. Your referral must be a Windows user, who has not previously installed Firefox, in order for you to receive credit.
- When an advertiser you refer first spends $5 within 90 days of sign-up (in addition to the $5 sign-up fee), you will be credited with $5.
- When that same advertiser spends $100 within 90 days of sign-up, you will be credited with an additional $40.
- If in any 180-day period, you refer 20 advertisers who each spend more than $100 within 90 days of their respective sign-ups, you will be awarded a $600 bonus (bonus payouts are limited to 1 per year).
- Pack: When a Windows user that you have referred to Pack downloads and installs the product, you will receive up to US$2 in your account.
There are 3 types of formats that could be picked for referral units; link, button and big button.
The link units as the title describes is simply a link. Best for positions or sites that have a lot a links. The small button is useful, as in my case on the right, for sidebars and small areas that only need a small button to fill the area. The big buttons are better for large areas of your page that need to be filled, and a referral link is the best thing.
Remember that you are allowed 2 referral units on your page so fiddle around and see what gets the best position and clicks. Set up a channel and see what is working. Best of all experiment and see what your visitors want and click on, because if a visitor likes your products then they will click on your links and earn you money.
Adsense link units are a really good money maker. I am going to share with you tips to making more profit. As you are only allowed one link unit per page, you are going to have to make it count.
For example link units are best placed were a lot of your links are already contained. The sidebar, at the bottom of a post. The placing of a link unit is important because only one or two words advertise what the advert is about. Putting a link unit in a low traffic area of your site is a waste of time.
Colour is also important. The best link colour is blue. All links on the Internet are blue so should yours. There is no need to reinvent the wheel are confuse your visitors. as well as this also make sure the background and boarder watch your sites background, they want to blend seamlessly.
Different link units work best it different positions. The long and thin units work best at the top and bottom of the page. The box link units look best either in the side bar or directly below your content. As if they were originally part of your website.
There is an option on how many links per unit. If there is small text as the main font on your page use five links, the ad size will blend better. If you have normal text size like mine then stick with four links per unit.
One tip, don't blend your ads so much into your site that a visitor cannot distinguish the ads from your content. This is against Google TOS. Don't risk it.
Finally use the competitive adverts filter within Google Adsense account settings to weed out adverts that are not relevant. Having adverts that don't relate to your content will not get many clicks. Use it to your advantage.
The best thing to do is make a channel for your links unit and experiment what position makes you the most money. Have fun.
Google Search can be used as a good money earner. The reason for this is that every search that a user performs there is a resource of millions of Adwords ads at there disposal to click. For example every search can bring up to 8 Ads (4 Top 4 Bottom) that will all earn you money. This is great for publishers.
Advantages of Google Search
- Access to every advertisement available. Providing it comes up in a search.
- Users are more adapt to were the adverts are. They know the page layout since its the same as Google's main search results page.
- You can change the results to match your colour scheme.
- In my experience it pays more per click than normal ads.
- Users have to search before adverts appear.
- Can be hard to exactly match the colour scheme of your site.
Google says that you can have only 2 search boxes per page. One is all you really need. The best place to put a search box is at the top of the page in the right hand corner (area). Most people are would normally find a search box here.
When setting up the search box it is a good idea to keep the Google Logo. Why? Because people recognise it. This will draw people to the search box to get the ball rolling.
You also have the choice whether to open the results in a new page or existing. I would choose new page. Simply because it offers a reader to use your site again once as they have closed the tab or window (Your page will still be open).
Colours will play a major role in what the search page looks like. You have to real options. Watch your colour scheme, which can be hard to master, or use Google's. Each have there advantages.
Using a colour which matches yours reminds people that they are still using your site.
If you match a colour scheme which is the same as Google means that people are recognise the layout and as a result may stay longer.
The only way to find out is to monitor your reports to see what produces the best results.
Hopefully this article has helped out and you understand more about the Google Adsense Search box.
Subscribe to my RSS Feed
Every Monday I am going to post a couple a Do's And Do Not's of Adsense. These will range from the obvious to the not so obvious. Each one will enable you to get the most out of your advertisements a Adsense program.
- Click on your own Ads. Google knows its the all seeing all knowing about what people are doing with there advertisements.
- Have a high CTR. This is another sign of invalid and fraudulent clicks.
- Say "Click My Ads" against the Terms of Service, as well as pushes up advertiser costs. (This is Bad)
- Place adverts in low key areas. The bottom of the page, for example.
- Optimise. Change yours Adsense adverts around find the highest paying positions.
- Use Link Ads. Surprisingly high paying if you have relevant ads.
- Write good content which can bring high paying ads.
- Use either contrasting or complementing colours. More this topic later.
When you use Adsense for the first time, or any time, on a new website you will start receiving generic adverts that do not pay a great deal. Although these adverts do pay. You could earn more by adding in higher paying Adwords terms into the content of your page.
By using the Google Adwords tool located here. You can search for words that will bring in high paying adverts. For example by putting in a generic word such as "Adsense" and then putting in the highest CPC (Cost Per Click) value. The highest paying advert search terms will appear.
Now this tool was designed by Google so people can find how much people are paying for the Google Adwords prices. But it can be tailored to suit. As well as this the adverts you will get do not all pay £20+ per click, because Google takes a slice and the high paying keywords do not appear that often. But it always worth a try.
If you would like to try eithier Adwords or Adsense please use the buttons located in the right hand column.
Subscribe to my RSS Feed
Over at my other blog I have compiled a list of some improvments that could be made to Google Adsense. Athough the program is good there some improvemonts that colud be made.
1) Reports That Tell You How Many Invalid Clicks.
2) A Report That Tells You How Much You Earned per 1000 Page Views
3) An Auto Rotate of Colour Palettes
4) Auto Rotate of Ad units
5) Automatic Notification of New Sites
6) The Saving of Preset Designs
To read the rest of the post, including my comments please check out this post.